Reworking a Summer Outfit
I try not to own any clothes I feel I need to apologize for if someone compliments me on them. I used to keep clothing that was gifted to me, or things I purchased that weren’t necessarily a favorite (but were within my budget), but now if I don’t feel comfortable in it, I find someone it suits better to give it to, or occasionally donate it. Life’s too short to be apologizing for clothes!
I loved this shirt the moment I was it in the J Peterman catalog a few years ago, and the color is one of my favorites. But it never fit me very well, so I decided to hem it up, take off the sleeves, and make the fit less boxy. I ended up having to put sone darts in, but I really like the look it has now. And I was able to use the fabric from the hem to finish off the armholes, so it’s all a perfect match yet!
The pants I purchased this summer, hoping for a wide-legged look, and while they fit, they came off as more bootcut than I’d hoped. I inserted a strip of fabric into the inseam to give more room, and then hemmed them up a bit since they were too long, and now they have the look I was hoping for.
This is one of those cases where I wonder what people do if they don’t sew. Do they pay someone to adjust it? Or do they get rid of it? Or do things just fit other people better than they do me? I’m very grateful I can do this myself, as it saves me time and money, and I can still wear the items I like.












