The Skirt to Wear Now & in Fall
Once the Fourth of July is done, everyone seems to start talking about fall, despite weeks of summer left. Added to that are the stores that offer specials for their fall clothes starting mid-July, and they often promote clothes you buy and wear now, and later in fall. So on that idea, I decided to make a skirt from a rayon-blend knit I found that I can style now and into the cooler weather. And to boot, I already had several options to go with it in my wardrobe!
I used McCalls , which is a simple circle skirt pattern, and cut it in between the A and B lengths. I hemmed it with a double needle, which worked really well with this knit, as I only turned it up once. Using a slightly longer stitch, the trick is to then keep just a little tension as you sew, so the fabric doesn’t get bogged down and stuffed into the hole of the plate. It will be a bit wavy when finished, but using some steam from the iron before actually ironing it will shrink it back into place (and get rid of the “tunnel” caused by the double needle).
While I’m definitely not done with my summer sewing, it was fun to make this skirt and think about how I will be wearing it for the months to come!



