Reversible Flannel Scarf




I am not a huge plaid person.  Not to say I own nothing in a plaid, I just don’t gravitate towards it.  Unless it’s a scarf.  I love how a plaid scarf can take a basic outfit up a notch, and how different color schemes can make the same outfit look completely different.  

I wanted a little bit bulkier scarf for winter, but one that could still be worn indoors.  I found these two flannels to coordinate, and I purchased half a yard of each, because it really is more versatile to have a scarf that is close to 72” long.  


I cut one piece in half widthwise, so that I had two pieces 9”x58”, and then cut one of the larger plaid ones in half on the fold (ending up with two pieces 9”x29”), and then I cut a 14” piece off the uncut piece, being careful to cut the piece where it would line up pattern-wise with the two halves I had cut. And then I did the exact same things for the second print.  

I sewed the three pieces together for each side, and then pressed the seams. Then I sewed the two sides together, flipped it right side out, and pressed that.  At that point, I tried it on, and was disappointed by the lack of body in the scarf - it just hung limply, when I had been hoping for a fuller look.  I took a piece of lightweight/microchamois fleece, cut it 8”x 60”, inserted it inside (don’t worry that it doesn’t come all the way to the ends, just center it), and that did the trick.  I topstitched the scarf to hold the layers in place.





After cutting off the selvedges, I put a zigzag stitch about an inch up around each of the ends.  Using a pin, I pulled out the threads to create some fringe around the ends, and my new scarf is ready to go! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wool Vest

Floral Cotton Skirt

Lace Trimmed Blue Top