Corduroy Tweed Skirt







This is a very interesting corduroy I happened upon a while back and am finally getting around to doing something with.  Instead of being a traditional corduroy, it not only has an almost tweed pattern to the print, but it also has a gabardine/twill nap to it instead of the usual parallel lines.  

I decided to make a skirt out of it, and chose Burda #6147 as my pattern, as I liked the flounce around the bottom. Burda patterns (like Vogue patterns), seem to assume you already know a fair amount about sewing, but I was very happy with how this one worked up.  The only thing I really did differently was to change the zipper from the back, like it calls for, to the side (and then shortened it to only 7”, as they called for 9”).  I’ve had pants and skirts that fastened in the back before, and personally prefer a side zipper.  I didn’t have any issues with it sticking out and changing the shape of the garment, but you could always use an invisible zipper if you were worried about that (I didn’t, because I don’t always like invisible zippers with bulkier fabrics).  

Wouldn't this make an awesome blazer or pair of slacks?  Maybe I'll luck out again someday and find more material like it...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wool Vest

Floral Cotton Skirt

Lace Trimmed Blue Top